September to mid- November
What I’m Doing Outside
- Plant vegetables that will winter over (garlic and onions).
- Pull out summer crop remnants and place in compost bin or shred directly into the box.
- Conduct a soil test to see if I need to add any nutrients and take the steps needed to amend the soil.
- Plant my cover crop or cover with shredded straw or leaves; I don’t want to leave my soil bare.
- Dismantle trellis.
- Harvest and store winter squash and pumpkin; record data.
- Identify the best potatoes to use for next year’s potato crop. Store in dry sand and put in a cool place over the winter.
What I’m Doing Inside:
- Canning, freezing and dehydrating the late summer and fall harvest
- Relaxing and catching up on my reading of gardening magazines.