March through mid-May
What I’m Doing Outside:
- Pull weeds, rake and smooth out the top of the soil in my garden boxes.
- Mark the garden box grids and install trellises.
- Start planting cool season plants like spinach, lettuce, chard by planting seeds directly in the garden.
- Early potatoes and peas can be planted but I don’t plant these until the soil temperature gets to 45°F.
- Mulch in late April so the soil has a chance to warm up but this is based on the weather.
- Harvest and enjoy spring vegetables.
What I’m Doing Inside:
- Prepare indoor growing area and start summer crop seedlings.
- Print out the garden plans and determine dates for planting on my calendar.
- Inventory the quantities of preserved food to update our growing plan based on how much we’ve consumed over the winter.
- Preserve and freeze your spring harvest.
Winter – mid-November to end of February
Summer: Mid-May through July
Fall: September to mid- November
Or Back to Garden Calendar Home Page